Tuesday, November 11, 2014

War of the Weeds

Weeds are nature's graffiti. ~Janice Maeditere

We've always struggled a little with weeds. In the beginning it was because I wasn't as focused on the garden as I am now, but since Anthony (my partner) starting breeding parrots, it's gotten harder and harder. Because of course parrots spread their seed around, and it grows. Into weeds. For a while he encouraged it because the birds ate them (and I wasn't as focused on the garden), but after a while he didn't need to encourage it, if you know what I mean...

Beautiful things sometimes like weeds.
And then about a year ago I broke my knee. Not too bad, but it put me out of action for a significant period. In the springtime, when everything is growing, including weeds!
By the time I had enough mobility and confidence to get back to the garden, it was late summer and the weeds had taken over! Then winter hit and I think I've mentioned that I don't do so well in winter.

So when spring arrived again this year and I was feeling much more like gardening, I had an enormous task ahead of me. To get rid of the weeds and get my garden back. To give you an idea of what I was facing, here are some before and after shots of what I've managed so far. But believe me, there is still a loooooong way to go!

Beside the driveway...
and after.



Eek! Front yard.
And from another angle.
And now.

A little better...

No comments:

Post a Comment