Friday, October 31, 2014

The Sometimes Gardener?

Why am I the Sometimes Gardener?

I'm one of those people that gets all excited and passionate about a project and throws absolutely everything I have into it, and then get distracted by...Oooh! Shiny thing!
It can be hard to concentrate on the garden when this is the view from your front door...
Seriously though, I do love to garden. I love the satisfaction that comes from seeing something that you've nurtured produce something beautiful or edible. I love the feel of soil between my fingers, the sun on my neck and I love that bone-tired feeling after a good day in the garden.

But there are a couple of problems. I have a lot going on in my life, with periods of intense busyness, I don't do well in winter (as I've mentioned previously), and sometimes I get discouraged or overwhelmed by the task ahead of me. Last October, I also broke my knee. Which set me back in many areas, but overwhelmingly so in my garden. The weeds grew tall and took over, the pruning didn't get done, and worst of all I didn't get to plant anything. It's taken me a year to get my mojo back, but I'm hoping I'm on the right track now.

...and this is the view from the back!
In the past I've been a bit of a set and forget gardener: plant the stuff and hope it will grow, occasionally water it, pull out the odd weed. I've had some success with this, but I want to get serious. I want to grow lots of food, share it with others, and become just that little bit more self-sufficient. Hopefully this blog will help me stay on track.

Coming up: tackling the weeds, my chooks, the grapevine.

No comments:

Post a Comment